top of page

No injuries after SUV catches fire

An SUV caught fire on Route 470 on Monday evening, March 21. – © René J. Roy / Wreckhouse Press

By Jaymie L. White

Special to Wreckhouse Press

MARGAREE-FOX ROOST – On Monday evening, Mar. 21, the Margaree-Fox Roost Volunteer Fire Department and Channel-Port aux Basques RCMP responded to a call about a vehicle fire on Route 470. The SUV was fully engulfed in flames when first responders arrived on the scene.

Fire Chief Mark Vautier said that they received the call at approximately 8:30 p.m. about a car on fire at the intersection of Route 470 and 470-10, near the end of Margaree Road.

“The crew arrived on scene at approximately 8:42 p.m. to find a SUV totally engulfed in flame. The crew quickly proceeded toward the burning car and within minutes the fire was under control and fully dismissed. The crew left the scene at approximately 9:10 p.m.”

The fire, which was contained within 30 minutes, required special precautions due to potentially toxic gases that could emit from the vehicle, as well as the possibility that parts could burst due to the extreme heat.

Chief Vautier said individuals should take necessary precautions if they are in the vicinity of a vehicle fire because of the dangers, however, in this circumstance, thankfully no one was hurt.

“At this time, I am happy to report there were no injuries,” said Vautier. “Extra precautions were taken due to the dangers that a vehicle fire may pose: battery, gas, glass, etcetera, and I would like to make everyone and anyone aware that, if they were to come to a vehicle fire, please do not approach and keep a very safe distance.”

The Fire Chief acknowledged the quick response and great work done by the volunteers with the fire department who responded.

An RCMP spokesperson also released a statement about the vehicle fire.

“On March 21, 2022, Channel-Port aux Basques RCMP were called to a vehicle that was on fire on Route 470 near the intersection to Maragree. Smoke was coming from underneath the hood of the vehicle while it was being operated. The driver pulled over and exited the vehicle, which had caught fire. The fire department attended the scene and put out the blaze.”

jaymielwhite@gmail.com

1 view0 comments

Comments


bottom of page